Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

Selling My Dasher

Selling My Dasher 29 Sep 2017 21:27 #10974

I'm sad to let it go, but I'm never going to get around to fixing it. Would love to see someone get it back on the road. I'm taking offers. See:

newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/d/1980-volk...d-vw/6319380811.html
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Selling My Dasher 01 Oct 2017 04:57 #10976

Rare 1980 Volkswagen Dasher wagon for sale. Gasoline engine. Automatic transmission. Fuel-injected. 57,904 original miles. Includes a 1984 Volkswagen Quantum GL5 donor car.

Here's the story:

I enjoyed driving this until about 5 or 6 years ago when I was coming back from Providence, RI. Engine started getting hot. Maybe thermostat gave out. There was plenty of coolant. I had to get home so I kept driving. I believe the engine case cracked. I was going to replace the engine with a 5 cylinder engine from a VW Quantum GL 5 donor car. I've been told it should fit in the Dasher without much problem. The donor car was in a front end accident, but I was told by the previous owner that it run great before the accident. I got the engine and transmission out of the donor car, but I haven't touched the Dasher yet. I've since lost interest and plus, my skills are not that great. I would love for someone to get this back on the road again.

Buyer needs to take both vehicles away. They will need to be towed. The tires are low on both cars, but I can pump them up. I'm pretty sure they'll hold air. The Dasher interior is good shape for it's age. It's been sitting a while, so it definitely needs a good cleaning. The body is in excellent condition. Very little rust. Very straight.

The engine from the Quantum has recently been moved to the back of the Dasher. The transmission and other engine parts from the Quantum are currently in the front seat of the Quantum.

I loved this car and am sad I couldn't get it running again. I hope someone out there can. It is a rare car. Perhaps not valuable, but pretty rare. The Dasher is what VW called the Passat in North America through the 70's and early 80's. Most of these have been scrapped a long time ago. I've never seen another one in person.

$1000 OBO. I don't have a title. Connecticut does not require titles for cars this old. Call, email, or text.

Awww don't do it! :( BTW a five cylinder won't fit, it's too long. Someone in Germany did it, you have to butcher the front end and engine basically pokes through. I measured a B2 engine myself out of curiosity, they won't go without really ruining the front end permanently.
Last Edit: 01 Oct 2017 04:58 by Frank the Dasher.

Selling My Dasher 16 Nov 2017 20:06 #11035

• MainzMichel
  • L Plater
  • Thank you received: 2
Frank the Dasher wrote:
Someone in Germany did it, you have to butcher the front end and engine basically pokes through.

That`s right, "KLE", a friend of mine, did it.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The whole project here.
All his crazy works: Fusselblog

The brown Dasher is really nice. But far away...

Adios
Michael
Excuse my bad english. It`s only schoolenglish and over 30 years ago...
Last Edit: 16 Nov 2017 20:10 by MainzMichel.

Selling My Dasher 06 Dec 2017 12:14 #11056

I've found a good home for the Dasher. No longer available.
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds

Who's Online

We have 43 guests and no members online

Subscribe to the
(occasional) newsletter.