I bought some stem seals from the lovely people at GermanAutoParts.com (who are so CHEAP!) a few weeks back and we finally got around to swapping them over. Frank's a little smokey and slightly rough, so it was hoped this would make him run better. And, at the same time, do an oil change as he was still running the oil we stuck in him in December 2008. He'd spent over a year sitting around, so time to clear out the goo and stick some decent oil into him. We selected some 10-50w for him, being an older motor something a little thicker will work well.
The before shot. Although, this is after moving a fuel line which runs across the engine, and the air filter. Frank had a fuel filter in that line, which was a worrying spot, so we were going to relocate that too.
Cover off, here's Frank's cam, all exposed. It's supposedly a "hot" one, according to the original Ebay listing.
Old gasket, and it's a cork one. I had ordered a new gasket kit to come with the stem seals, and we were upgrading to a rubber one.
Cam off, shims exposed. We measured each gap and found quite a bit of fluctuation between them, so pulled out the manual to discover 4 were out; 3 inlet ones and 1 exhaust one.
If you don't have the right tools for this, you will never get it right. Very fiddly job.
When we got the buckets out, we discovered something odd. Only the inlet valves had stem seals. All of the exhaust ones were missing theirs. WTF? No idea why, or who did that.
We took out a few just to check, and yup, missing. Weird!
The old seals were very dry and fought the removal, breaking up into umpteen pieces.
New seals. At least those go in nicely.
All back together, now to get the shims right.
Again, you need the right tools for this. A shim plier helps!
All measured and properly set up, and reinstalled cam.
Now we have a fuel filter running off on the right hand side of the bay, no longer sitting over the top of the engine. New oil and oil filter. And new fuel line, no longer old and cracked. Took Frank for a spin afterwards and he now runs incredibly smooth! Hurrah!
He'll need an engine rebuild later, to replace the piston rings, but this will do for now. And doing it yourself means it's much cheaper than paying mechanics costs. This is a labour intensive job, the parts cost less than $20.